Archive for December, 2011

Monitor Mounting

In a previous post I shows how to yank apart a monitor, just leaving the parts that we need for an easy, solid installation.  Now it’s time to mount the monitor in the cabinet.
WP_000271

Read the rest of this entry »

, , ,

Leave a comment

Joystick Mounting with Inserts

As I had posted once before, I was going to use inserts when installing the joysticks instead of just using wood screws.  This works extremely well when screws may be removed, and tightened several times.  Without an insert, it’s possible that you’ll strip out the wood, leaving a hole that needs to be filled.  Another reason is the thing wood that we have to work with on a control panel.  Typically you’ll only have 3/4″ or less to insert a screw in the control panel.  This doesn’t give much thread engagement with typical wood screws. With the insert you can tighten the screw as much as you like, within reason, without worry of stripping.

IMG_0418 (Medium)

Read the rest of this entry »

, , ,

Leave a comment

Pinball Repair

Besides arcade machines, I’m also a big fan of pinball machines. I grew up going to an arcade called JNC that had an entire wall of pinball machines; Black knight 2000, The Addams Family, Riverboat Gambler, Dr. Dude, Earthshaker, T2, Whirlwind, Elvira, and a few others that I can’t remember. Since the place is no longer around, well it is, but just in graveyard form, I needed to pick up a machine of my own.

I ended up purchasing a Whitewater machine and my father has a Whirlwind. I’m pretty much in charge of fixing both.

The tornado drop target on his Whirlwind machine stopped working, or I should say that it stopped working reliably. Sometimes it would register a hit, sometimes it would pop back up. You’d never know and that would disrupt the game.
WP_000273

 

Read the rest of this entry »

, , , , ,

Leave a comment

Quick Update

I’ve been putting a lot of work into all three of the cabinets lately.  This hasn’t left me any time to document the entire process, but I will be getting around to that.  All of the pictures have been taken, but they still need to be organized and uploaded.  My main goal is to get two of these done before christmas.  That gives me two weeks to go from the current state to complete.  As you can see in the following pictures, it’s getting pretty close.

WP_000271

Lexan cut for the screen:
Plexiglass in

On the software side, everything is up and running. I’ve managed to get Hyperspin working with MAME, NES, SNES, Genesis and Daphne. I’ll add more systems in the future, but so far this is a good start.

, ,

1 Comment