Posts Tagged woodworking
I just finished a job building a few control panels for a customer. In the design phase he wanted a large radius along the front of the panel. I drew the panel up in AutoCAD and the result was exactly what he wanted.
In order to determine where all of the controls go, I can look around online and check what everyone else did. That’s great and all, but I want to make sure it feels right before i start cutting into my $50 sheets of plywood.
I know that each player will have a joystick and 6 buttons. You need the 6 buttons if you ever plan on playing the fighting games. I was never good at them back in the 90’s, but I guess I can at least be bad at them for free now.
Read the rest of this entry »
That is a break from blogging not from working on the cabinets. I almost made my goal of trying to deliver two before christmas. One was delivered a few days after and then the next one is on the verge of completion now. That means that I have a lot to catch up on here. I’ve got a ton of posts written up, but I just need to find the time to connect them with all of the pictures that I’ve taken. Read the rest of this entry »
As I had posted once before, I was going to use inserts when installing the joysticks instead of just using wood screws. This works extremely well when screws may be removed, and tightened several times. Without an insert, it’s possible that you’ll strip out the wood, leaving a hole that needs to be filled. Another reason is the thing wood that we have to work with on a control panel. Typically you’ll only have 3/4″ or less to insert a screw in the control panel. This doesn’t give much thread engagement with typical wood screws. With the insert you can tighten the screw as much as you like, within reason, without worry of stripping.
I’ve been putting a lot of work into all three of the cabinets lately. This hasn’t left me any time to document the entire process, but I will be getting around to that. All of the pictures have been taken, but they still need to be organized and uploaded. My main goal is to get two of these done before christmas. That gives me two weeks to go from the current state to complete. As you can see in the following pictures, it’s getting pretty close.
On the software side, everything is up and running. I’ve managed to get Hyperspin working with MAME, NES, SNES, Genesis and Daphne. I’ll add more systems in the future, but so far this is a good start.
I’m planning on installing T-molding all around the sides of the cabinet and around the control panel. It’s a good idea to cut the slots for the t-molding now, before the cabinet is together. It makes things a lot easier, only dealing with a side instead of putting the cabinet down on its side for each cut.
I had requested samples from www.tmolding.com and sure enough a couple of days later they arrived. It’s good to see the colors in person. The color never translates well through a camera and monitor screen. Sure enough, orange that looked pink on the screen was indeed orange. The blue one in the back is a nice deep purple.
Read the rest of this entry »